I stayed up late last night getting my invoices and expenses in order. Well, I say “I” stayed up late, but really it was Mr Fairy, the one person in the house with any financial common-sense.Read More
An increasing part of my work is to do with spreading the good news about blogging: in talks and online I can be heard stressing the importance of keeping your blog up to date with fresh, crisp content.Read More
It’s such a mainstream concept now, the home office thing, and those three little words are firmly built into common office parlance (though the acronym WFH still needs a bit of explaining to some people alarmed by its oddly blunt appearance).Read More
Dictionary.com’s first example for ‘Stockpile’ is
‘A supply of material, as a pile of gravel in road maintenance’
I don’t have any gravel or roads that require maintenance (unless you count my stair carpet, which does actually need a really good Hoover). My meaning is more to do with collecting words, specifically within blog posts, more specifically for times when I need a quick upload. Like today.
More of us are comfortable with the theory of stockpiling social media snippets for situations when we’re not in a position to think, write and post one. If we subscribe to the idea that our blogs, Insta pages, LinkedIn profiles, and other social plants all need constant watering, then we need to garden in advance.
Right now it’s mid-Easter-break and those of us in possession of school-age children will be knee-deep in ‘holidays’. I use quotes because although it’s a holiday for him, that’s not always the case for me. The Fairy family is, however, about to pack up and head out on a road trip, so I need to pot my posts and prune my profiles well in advance. Like this:
• I’ve already worked out how many posts I need. I won’t make it more than usual, because there’s no point in doubling up on work just for the sake of it. If I only usually post once a week, then I’ll prepare one per week. Always keep it simple.
• I’ve got a timely post up my sleeve. I know it’s going to be Easter and I’ve already bought the chocolate and thought up a theme.
• I’ve checked to see if the Airbnb has WiFi – it does.
• I’ve added a reminder to my phone so I’m not on a high hill in Snowdonia when I remember that I should have clicked ‘Save & Publish’ the night before.
• I’ve packed some nice wine, just as a little pat on the back. I think I’ve earned it.
I will also be doing this for half-term (Venice), summer (Greece) and all the other school holidays between now and university (him, not me), so there’s no chance of my stock ever running out of piles.
Plenty is written about love, and double the amount on this day of the year, Valentine’s Day, when hearts and flowers are in every shop window, raining the pink stuff down whether you’re in the market for that kind of thing or not.Read More
Found my O and A-Level certificates the other day. The latter is heading towards a frame (#smugface). The former, notsomuch. I really had no idea what I was doing when I took those exams, aged only just 16 (French was on my actual birthday). If there’s one thing my teenage self never dreamed she would doRead More